Urban Public Policy Fellowship Application
Join a new generation of leaders with the UPPF program!
The Urban Public Policy Fellowship program is a leadership development program designed to expose historically underrepresented minority undergraduate students at the University of Illinois at Chicago to key public policy issues. The program provides Fellows with weekly seminars offering a solid introduction to theory and practice in the areas of public policymaking, advocacy, community development, and service provision along with a valuable internship experience.
Internship Heading link
Participants in the UPPF program are placed in internships with community partners. They are hired as student employees of the university and will be paid up to $4,000.00 for satisfactory completion of program requirements.
2022-2023 program requirements Heading link
- A commitment of 11.5 hours per week, 8 of which will be at an internship site
- Eligible for employment as required by the UIC Office of Student Employment
- A minimum of 45 credit hours (12 at UIC for transfer students)
- Registered as a full-time student (minimum of 12 credit hours per semester and a maximum of 15 credit hours per semester) for the academic year
- In good academic standing; a current cumulative minimum GPA of a 2.75 on a scale of 4.0 is recommended
- Participants are expected to attend mandatory Friday seminars
- Past participants who have already completed the UPPF Program are not eligible to reapply
- Undergraduate students from any majors in any college are eligible to apply. However, this program is likely to appeal to students with interests in criminal justice, education, law, political science, sociology, psychology, communications, public health, social work, and urban planning
Application procedure Heading link
A successful application includes the following:
- Complete application
- A letter of recommendation
- Personal statement
Priority will be given to students who have an expressed interest in public policy. Selection is based on policy interest, academic record, and leadership.
Selection timeline Heading link
|Friday, May 13, 2022||Deadline for application|
|Monday, June 20, 2022||Notification of acceptance|
|Monday, June 27, 2022||Deadline to accept or decline Fellowship|
|Friday, August 19, 2022||Mandatory orientation|
|Monday, August 22, 2022||Program begins|
|Friday, April 28, 2023||Program ends|
|UPPF program start and end dates are contingent upon funding for the 2022-23 academic year.|